Presentation and tour by Historian John Whitehead on the exploration of this area by explorer John Oxley in 1817.
Part of the 2017 Australian National Heritage Festival Program
Bicentenary of Oxley’s 1817 exploration of the Lachlan River that set out on 27 April 1817 from the Depot near today’s Merriganowry Bridge. This supply depot established by William Cox in December 1816 was guarded by a detachment from the 46th Regiment for several months and the area became known as Soldiers Flat.
Canowindra Services Club, 10.30 for 11am start
10.30 for 11.00am Canowindra Services Club, Talk by John Whitehead, Author of Tracking and Mapping the Explorers, Oxley, Evans and Cunningham Admission by donation. Inquiries: Ross Cleary T 0410 447 950, E email@example.com or Dorothy Balcomb T 63600618 E firstname.lastname@example.org
1.30 for 2pm: Bus departs for Soldiers Flat monument and site of Oxley Expedition Supply Depot near Merriganowry Bridge of Lachlan River Bus Bookings: Jill McDonald T 62441236 E email@example.com Cost $5
Image:John Oxley, copy of original watercolour portrait on card, 1810, Image courtesy of the State Library of New South Wales, Government Printing Office 1, 10806