Forest Reefs is located 18km south of Orange. The area was know as The Forest or Beneree at the time of the Robertson Land Act in 1860. Forest Reefs was a gold mining area with alluvial gold being found in the 1860s-1870s.
A post office was opened in 1870 as the mail was collected from Cadia, Carcoar, Springside, Lucknow or Orange. In 1901 the Post Office Directory listed a population of 500 in and around with a butcher shop, blacksmith shop, baker, school, two hotels and three stores.
By 1974 the Post Office had closed and 1990 the school also closed.
Have a break at the Forest Reefs Tavern