With the Carcoar School of Arts transformed into a replica of the Victoria Hotel, Carcoar Hospital Museum Committee hosted a tribute to the founding doctor of Carcoar Hospital, Dr Hugh Mortimer Rowland.
In 1867, prior to his return to England after 10 years in the Colony, Dr Rowland was guest of honour at hearty farewell dinner hosted by noted gentlemen of the district. The Museum Committee recorded the event by recreating the original dinner using the expertise of Jacqui Newling, Gastronomer, Sydney Living Museums to present a current-day version of an elegant Victorian dinner using locally grown produce.
Research revealed newspaper reports of the original event and gave a script for local gentlemen to characterise some of the original attendees. As in 1867, Dr Rowland was presented with a silver salver, an illuminated address and a purse of sovereigns.
Approximately 60 guests took the opportunity to dress in period costume, tables were a picture with candles and paper roses, printed menu and placemats recorded the event, a pianist encouraged audience participation.
The event was supported via the Villages of the Heart project, a key initiative of the Sustainable Collections Program, delivered in partnership with Orange, Cabonne and Blayney Councils, and the Historic Trust of NSW incorporating Sydney Living Museums, with funding from Arts NSW.